Now-“dodgy” previously equity-passing historic built links are the biggest threat to brands in 2014.
- Techniques that were common-place a few years ago can now have serious consequences
- Spam thresholds are continually decreasing
- Google aren’t afraid to take action against big brands
- Just because your link profile is cleaner than your competitors does not mean you are safe
- You never know when your link profile could be manually reviewed or reported
- Google will happily strip you of #1 position for your brand name
Here’s how I ranked #1 for someone else’s brand name which has 9,900 exact match monthly UK searches with 45 minutes work and $30. This shouldn’t work.
in case you missed it, here is a helpful picture I drew pic.twitter.com/rtd7msjYQD
SEO Blogging: Crap somebody else has written about AND Crap we’ve never actually tried
— Joel K (@JoelKlettke) February 13, 2014
Disclaimer: I tried this
GardenBuildingsDirect.co.uk are a retailer of, well, garden buildings.
It’s fair to say they have built a brand for themselves as people are actively searching for their site by name.
They are currently brand banned from Google and no longer rank on key generics.
I registered GardenBuildings-Direct.co.uk… (-£2.99/$4.97, ~5 minutes)
Set up a 1 page site of crap… (~25 minutes)
Bought some shit links… (~15 minutes)
100 blog network links (-$10)
250 Web 2.0s (-$10)
Real quality links:
- Back garden structures in these modern times are typically http://www.artpridenjstore.com/back-garden-structures-in-these-modern-times-are-typically/
- Organic garden homes as of late will most certainly be http://www.genepoch.net/organic-garden-homes-as-of-late-will-most-certainly-be/
- Flower garden house presently usually are http://www.thietkelogochuyennghiep.com/flower-garden-house-presently-usually-are/
Will it rank for their brand term? Of course it would, but how high?
[garden buildings direct]
- #73 – 1st Feb
- #57 – 2nd Feb
- Page 6 – 4th Feb (morning)
Received email stating Web 2.0s completed, blog network links should also have finished around this time if they were drip-fed over 4 days.
- #7 – 4th Feb (afternoon)
- #8 – 9th Feb
- #16 – 11th Feb
- #17 – 12th Feb
- #16 – 15th Feb
- #1 – 17th Feb
- #1 – 18th Feb
- #1 – 19th Feb
- #1 – 20th Feb
The site remained in #1 position until I received a request to remove it from GardenBuildingsDirect.co.uk on Feb 20th. I blanked the site because I am a nice guy so would expect to see that drop from the ranks pretty soon given it now has no content whatsoever.
Traffic stats (only added Analytics on the 18th):
Welcome to SEO 2014.